Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Christmas cheer, found here...

..and LOTS of photographic evidence of it!

First, let us just say, hey!!  I know it's been awhile and we're sorry for not keeping up with posting over the last two months.  That's a long time and we've had a lot to post, but just never could find the time over the busy Holiday's to sit and write.  With that said, I think I'll just skip all the stuff in between the last time we posted (just after Halloween) and Christmas. 

Well, I do want to share the latest couple of swim meets that Madison participated in, both of which were before Christmas, but I'll save that for another time.  Today's post...all about Christmas! 

Madi's choir class preformed a Christmas concert just a few days before their Christmas break.  My Mom, Dad and Nephew attended the concert with me.  Jack was out of town on business travel (what a bummer!) and could not be there to see it.  That's two in a row!!!


Madison looked so beautiful in her choir dress which made mom cry!
See?  What a beautiful young lady!




These were all taken at home before the concert.
And because being silly is part of Madi's lovable personality, here's a picture of her goofy side. 
Madi's Christmas Choir Concert ~ the 7th Grade Advanced Choir Girls.

So, after the concert, we were officially in the mood for Christmas and for Madi's two week break from school!

Madi and I began baking the day before Christmas Eve.  We had a lot to bake and I'm so glad she was willing to be my helper.  I'm lucky to have her in the kitchen and really enjoy our time together whether we're sharing some great recipes or the latest "experiment"!!!

~ Madi, preparing to make fudge in the picture on the left and sifting flour for sugar cookies in the right. 

Our Christmas sugar cookies!  These were my favorite out of all the Christmas goodies we made.




Madi and I also made Peppermint Mocha Cupcakes.  Ah, Starbucks you've got nothin' on us! :)

I didn't get any pictures of the fudge and to be completely honest, I didn't care for it too much.  Jack loved it (CHOCOLATE), but Madi and I didn't like the texture - too much like biting into a mouth full of sugar. I think it must have had something to do with the cooling process and not having a candy thermometer. Yeah, that's it!  
My poor neighbors and what they must think! I gave them gift boxes, like the one above, that had cupcakes, cookies and some of the mouth-full-of-sugar fudge!  I'm hoping that if Jack loved it, maybe they did too. :}

Madi and I literally spent that entire day and night in the kitchen baking!  We didn't go to bed until after 1am and had to get up and ready early the next morning for Christmas Eve doings.

My Mom and Dad were nice enough to host their Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve again this year.  I didn't take pictures of our feast (for once I wasn't thinking about my camera, just my belly which was totally empty and very angry we me after all that baking and no taste testing!)

I did take some pictures of Mom's after dinner treat which we (the grown folk) enjoyed while the kids (Jason and Madi) opened a gift.  It's sort of a tradition to let the kids (kids only, no grown folk!) open one gift each on Christmas Eve. 
Mom made a strawberry cake which we all enjoyed (super yummy!) with a cup of coffee, a soaked crotch (that's a whole nother story!  Poor Jack.  hehehe) and lots of laughs while the kids opened their gifts...
The next day (Christmas day), Jack, Madi and I loaded up the car with all the Christmas gifts at 6:30am and headed to Mom and Dad's. 
Madi was getting a little impatient waiting on her Aunt Gennie, Uncle Andy and Jason to arrive!  Jack was content. Enjoying a good cup of coffee and some breakfast my Mom and Dad fixed for everyone (mmm...lil' smokies!).

Leo was trying to figure out why we were at his house so early in the morning, disturbing His Royal Cuteness's sleep!
When Gennie, Andy and Jason finally arrived, it was time to get busy!  The kids positioned themselves on the floor and waited on "Santa" (Jack) to hand them their gifts. 
I took WAY too many pictures (imagine that) which you are now about to see...
Our Christmas gift giving started off with a very special gift to Papa from Jason.  A U.S. Army Retiree hat and some dog tags with Jason's name on them. A very thoughtful gift which Jason thought of all on his own.  Good job, son!

After that sweet little moment, things got a little crazy and  it was hard to keep track of all the action!  Hard, but not impossible!  Here we go!
Madison with GiGi and a great big smile.  She's got THE best smile! 


Bella and Leo got gifts too, of course!


Some of my favorite reaction pictures of Madi. 
Jack and I gave my Mom a picture of a flower (a weed really) that I had taken at her house over the summer. I've taken so many pictures on my Mom and Dad's property that it was difficult to pick just one - the one.  Once I narrowed it down to two pictures, I asked Jason and Madi to pick the "it" picture. They both agreed, with no hesitation, on this one.  I hope Mom is happy with our decision.

It's my Dad's tradition to have one shot of Crown Royal every year on New Years day.  If Jack or any of his other son-in-laws are around, they are offered a shot as well.  We gave him a new bottle of CR for Christmas because his old (and I do mean old!) bottle from 1978 was almost gone.  Seriously, Dad has had the same bottle of CR since 1978 - 33 years!! 
However,  the old bottle (above) was emptied of it's last remaining 33 year old contents on New Years day, 2011; and so continues the tradition with a brand new bottle next year!  

I had to snap a picture of Gennie being silly ~ wearing Jason's helmet toboggan (thanks for the name, Tracy!) thingy!  Hopefully she wont hate me for posting it...

His Royal Cuteness looking...well, looking cute!

After cleaning up and repacking our car, Jack, Madi, Jason and I headed home to get cleaned up and ready for Christmas, part two, at Jack's Mom and Dad's. 

I waited to give Jack two of his gifts from Madi and I till we got home because they were just to heavy and awkward to bring out to my Mom and Dad's.  
I'm pretty sure he LOVED these last two gifts - a miter saw and a sort of "wine lover's" gift basket that he was eyeballing in Specs a few days before Christmas.  He's got this fascination with collecting power tools and has wanted a miter saw for some time now. I say "collecting" because I haven't seen him actually use them yet.  :)  

After a quick trip home, we loaded the car (again) and headed to Jack's Mom and Dad's to spend our Christmas afternoon and evening. 
Reaction number 1!


Reaction number 2!

















I'd say she's pretty happy!!

Jack and I really wanted to do something special for his Dad this year and  we knew that the Great Blue Herring that hangs out in their backyard ( on the lake behind their house to be more specific) was pretty special to him.  So, we had a picture that I had recently taken of  "Blue" blown up and framed for him.  We think maybe he liked it, he hung it up the next day! :)

We had such a wonderful time visiting with Camille and Johnny!  Their Christmas dinner and Camille's Pecan Pie was amazing!  So was the company!

Once we were home, Jack and Madi couldn't wait to try out the PlayStation 3.  I couldn't wait to crawl into bed; I was exhausted and couldn't believe their energy!  That Jack, he's just like a kid!!  Just as excited as Madi about his Christmas gifts!  But, I love that about him.   These two "kids" stayed up till 2am.  That's just crazy!
Here's Madi playing with her new eyepet game.  I watched her play it for a few minute before I went to bed and thought it was a super cute and fun game.  

We had a really great Christmas and would like to thank both of our parents for making it so amazing!  Also, thank you for all that you have done for us throughout the year and for all of the wonderful times we have shared together this past year.  We look forward to many, many more over the years to come!  Maybe next year we can give you guys a break in the kitchen more often though!  :)

We would also like to say that we are SO thankful for all of our blessings and gifts this Christmas. To our family and friends, we have enjoyed another year shared with you in love but, more than anything, we celebrate the divine reaching down to mankind through the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ and remember that His gift is more than we will ever deserve!

No comments:

Post a Comment