Thursday, November 4, 2010

Monster Dash

On Saturday, Oct. 23, Jack and I participated in the Harker Heights Monster Dash 5k. This was our first ever run for a cause. The cause: Polio. Who knew Polio was still a concern? We sure didn’t. Anyway, since this was our first 5k event, Jack and I were a little nervous and didn’t really know what to do or what to expect. But, once we were situated with our numbers, goodies bags and T-shirts, the only thing left to do was run and we weren’t so nervous about that.

We met up with some friends, Tony and Nessa, before and after the race. Tony ran the 5k, but unfortunately an injury sidelined Nessa for the event. So, she let Madi hang out with her while Jack and I ran. I know she was very disappointed that she couldn’t run, but Madi was happy to get some time with Ms. Nessa!

Nessa was also kind enough to take pictures of Jack and I during the run...


just before the 5k.  Well, just before some rain, thunder and lighting caused a 30 minute delay. 


~right as we came into the park area for the last half mile or so.  Jack and I are both smiling as Nessa and Madi cheer us on!

~crossing the finish line!   I love that we're in total sync!


~we did it, together!


Our final time was 30:56. We were okay with that, but hope to do much better next time. My goal was to get under 32 minutes and I did that, but I had really (kind of unrealistically) hoped to get a 27/28 minute time. Jack could’ve left me behind and gotten a much better time, but he stayed with me to the end. He’s sweet like that. Thanks baby!

Anyway, we never even saw Tony. He was way out ahead of us and finished looong before us! Way to go Tony! I know Nessa was super proud of her honey!

Jack came in 4th in his age group (30-34) for men and I came in 6th in my age group (30-34) for women. So, we did alright I guess. Now, I just need to work on maintaining the same pace (working on 9 min. miles) throughout the run. Not sure if I can do it, but I'm really putting in some major effort!

All in all Jack, Madi and I had a great time during the Monster Dash!  And in the process we helped raise money and “Scare away Polio”!  So, we did good! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment