Thursday, January 27, 2011

Blueberry Yum-Yum!

~Blueberry Yum-Yum
Please allow me to introduce you to a family favorite, Blueberry Yum-Yum.  Blueberry Yum-Yum is a dessert that my Grandma Lewis (my Dad's Mom) was practically famous for. I don't know exactly where she got the recipe; if she created it or copied it...but I do know that she perfected it! 

I remember visiting my Grandparents home in Savannah, Georgia when I was a kid and how Grandma's Blueberry Yum-Yum was a special treat for my sisters and I.  There was always massive amounts of good ol' southern cookin' to be had on these visits, but her yum-yum was always the star of the show.  I also remember that she use to bring it to the Lewis family reunions and folks would literally line up to get some of the blueberry goodness.  My sister, Melanie, a confessed Blueberry Yum-Yum addict was always in that line.

Grandma was nice enough to share her recipe with my Mom many years ago and this past weekend Mom decided to make it for the first time in in quite a while. The picture at the top of this post is of Mom's latest version of Grandma's Blueberry Yum-Yum.  It looked just like it should and even though Mom complained that she has never been able to make it exactly the way Grandma did, I can honestly say it tasted like perfection to me! 

Mom has passed the recipe on to me and has given me permission to share it, so you're in for a real treat today!!  Thank you, Mom! And thank you Grandma Lewis!

The really great thing is that the recipe that Mom has was handwritten by my Grandma years ago.  How awesome is that!? She passed away some time ago but, when I look at her handwritten notes on making this classic family treat, it is like she is in the kitchen making it all over again. I would scan it and attach it to this post, but my scanner is broken. :(  

I'm really happy to share this recipe and hope that if you try it, you will let me know how it turned out and if you enjoyed it.

Blueberry Yum-Yum
2 Cups fresh or frozen blueberries
2 Cups sugar (Divided)
1/4 Cups water
1/4 Cup cornstarch
3 Tbsp water
1 Cup all purpose flour
½ Cup margarine (softened)
1 cup walnuts (chopped fine).
1 8oz pkg cream cheese (Soft)
1 8oz pkg frozen whipped topping

Combine flour, margarine and nuts. Press dough in baking dish. Bake 20 mins. at 350. Let cool.

Combine berries, 1 cup sugar and ¼ cup water in small sauce pan. Cook over low heat until berries are soft. Approx. 15 mins.

Combine cornstarch with 3 tablespoons water in bowl - stir to dissolve. Add mixture to blueberries stirring constantly ‘til thickened. Set aside to cool.

Combine cream cheese and 1 cup sugar. Beat ‘til smooth – fold in cool whip. Speed this over cooled crust and then pour blueberry mixture evenly over top.

*Grandma’s end note says:  and that’s it!

This is what I get for asking Jack to pose with the Blueberry Yum-Yum...

~ He acts like he's going to give it to Bella...
You can imagine my frustration with this man, I'm sure!
Finally, he acts right!  It really shouldn't be this hard! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment