Friday, July 10, 2009

Eastern tailed-blue

This little Eastern tailed-blue found me in the garden today. He fluttered right in front my face for a moment as if to get my attention and then landed on our Basil plant. My attention was his completely and he was not shy.
I ran into the house to get my camera, all the while thinking he would be gone by the time I got back to where he had been. But, he wasn't, he was waiting for me. It seemed to me he knew how badly I wanted to take his picture and he patently waited.
It took me a few minutes to get my camera ready but, he was in no rush and waited for me still as I attached my macro lens. When my camera was ready, I leaned in close and took his picture. I think he liked the attention because he stayed a long time with me, the lady with the camera.
Eastern tailed-blue
Wingspan: 1 inch
Markings: Wings are pail gray underneath with multiple black markings, plus orange spots near the tail. Hind wings have short "tails."
Source: gardening for birds and butterflies magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment